Saturday, February 19, 2022

Are you for sale? Am I for sale?


    
As a student, in order to enroll myself into a school, I am required to fill up forms entailing information about myself and I did exactly that, 
I have always nonchalantly shared my information thinking that I have no choice but to offer it in order to access something, just like offering my information to the school in order to enroll myself. Now that I think about it, I was basically disclosing my personal and sensitive information, I was thinking whether I was giving away my information for free but I think that I did not gave it away for free, I gave my information in order for me to be able to enroll to a school.

    In a discussion about data privacy, we were asked what is the most important thing we have in our possession, the subject is about data privacy therefore the obvious answer is data or information about ourselves, but why is it important to us in the first place, I have learned that personal and sensitive information can be used against us and others can make money out of it, it was pointed out that if we get robbed of our money, we just lose money but I think that is an understatement since losing money is still unfortunate but if we get robbed of our sensitive information such as our pin number of credit cards or password to applications that gives financial services such as Paymaya, Gcash, PayPal, etc., we both lose our information and money which is more unfortunate, if someone got a hold of our personal information, we can fall victim to identity theft, and I think these instances highlights the significance of data.

    Losing personal and sensitive data can have devastating consequences, but it will not be lost easily if given to a trusted organization. I learned that when sharing my personal and sensitive information, I must make sure that the one I am sharing it to safeguards that information I have given them. The data must be stored in a secured database and the information must not be shared without consent, I will have to rely on the organization's data regulations and legislations such as the republic act 10173 for my information to be protected.

    Even with our data protected by a trusted organization, people can still attempt to steal or tamper our data and if this happens, the organization will be at fault, therefore it is the organization's responsibility to compensate for their mistake, but our data will still be lost, the only thing we can do is to do what we can, we can change our passwords if it has something to do with accounts being stolen or just hope that the consequences will be harmless.

    As for the question "Are you for sale?", since we are in the context of data privacy, It made me think about my data, I give my data away in exchange for school enrollment, a web service application like Gmail and Facebook, and other things, so does that mean I sold my data for a service or something? It sounds like bartering for me but I am not sure, as far as I know, I have not sold my data for money and if other people are going to sell my data for money, I would rather do it myself than let them because I need money. If there is one thing I need to keep in my mind is that I must make sure that the organization that keeps my data follows proper data privacy protocol and data privacy laws for protection and to avoid my data being illegally shared and sold somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment